Sunday 1 May 2016

Cardmaking - Dream Big in Paris - Sunday Snippets

Happy Sunday Everyone,

This card was made a wee while ago, for the UKPC challenge for April, but I'm only now getting around to posting it, and as a snippet or two were used in the making I thought I'd submit it to Pixie's Snippets Playground - Week 227.
The theme for the challenge was Paris (in Springtime) and the idea for the design began with a sheet of lovely patterned paper (from the Simple Stories So Fancy Collection) featuring the Eiffel Tower. However, having chosen the paper, I then was stuck for what to do next until I thought of just taking some of the techniques I like to use when scrapbooking and adapting them for the card. One of the things I often do when making a scrap layout is create clusters of embellishments around the page. Here I made one on the bottom left corner using lots of embellishments ... ribbon printed with postmarks, washi tape, a scrap of bakers twine fixed in place with tiny staples.


The ribbon, which as luck would have it has a couple Paris postmarks in the design, was machine stitched in place, wrapping it around the back of the card. The baker's twine was curled round before stapling in place along the length of the ribbon.

.
The greeting was stamped on to a tiny snippet of white card which was then layered on to yet another tiny snippet of pink card before fixing to the top right corner of the card front.

I stapled the tiniest scrap of baker's twine to the top of the Kraft label which is part of the original design printed on the patterned paper and for the finishing touch enamel dots in yellow and pink were scattered around the card front.

The back of the staples showed through on to the inside so, for safety's sake, I covered them up with more clusters made from snippets of paper and washi tape. I also added another largish snippet of white card to the inside to write my message on.






Supplies used:

  • Cardstock - American Crafts 
  • Designer Paper - Simple Stories So Fancy Collection
  • Ink - ColourBox Orchid
  • Greeting Stamp - from Life's An Adventure stamp set
  • Decorative Ribbon - bought locally, distributor SIL - www.silplc.com 
  • Washi tape - words from Papermania All Aboard Collection and pink/white gingham came free with a magazine an awful long time ago
  • Enamel dots - Simple Stories DIY and So Fancy collections
  • Baker's Twine - from my scrap box
  • Tools - Tim Holtz Tiny Staple Attacher & my sewing machine

Phew! Not the quickest description I've ever written on how I made a card but it seemed to need quite a bit of explanation, and more photos too. Hope you like the finished card as much as I do ... I may well make another using the same techniques.

It's a Bank Holiday weekend here in the UK and, of course, the weather has been a bit mixed ... sunny spells interrupted by April showers. It was snowing here during the week so I'll happily take the sun and showers instead :) Whatever the weather, I hope you are enjoying the weekend and catching that sun whenever it makes and appearance, however briefly!

Take care and happy crafting,

5 comments:

Barb said...

A very pretty and interesting card Elizabeth. That paper is really pretty and your I really like the way you've added embellishments and the use of staples for attaching. Barbxx

Di said...

Oh how pretty this card is Elizabeth. So many lovely elements and beautifully put together. Sums up Paris perfectly!

Been thinking of you this week and hope that you're OK.

Hugs

Di xx

meg said...

Lots of interest colour and texture great work

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

A very pretty card Elizabeth, the textures and colours are gorgeous. Have a wonderful weekend sweetie.

Love and hugs
Maarit

Craftychris said...

Fabulous card! Love the paper and all the added detail! xxx