Wednesday 2 March 2016

Sewing Project - Jelly Roll Table Runner

Afternoon Everyone,

Having just spent the morning dodging men laying new flooring down on our hall and landing, I've finally made it into the craft room. I should have followed The Boss' example ... she escaped to this haven of peace and tranquility and ignored all the disruption going on around her as soon as the floor layers arrived.

I finally finished the table runner I've been working on for quite some time. Although it had me pulling my hair out to begin with until I worked out exactly how to approach the sewing of it, I'm happy to report that the result is not too bad.
And it does look lovely on our dining table.
The supplies used included heatproof wadding (batting), lining and several strips from a bright and cheerfully patterned cotton jelly roll called Tweet Town.
I experimented with machine embroidering some detail on just a few of the plainer patterned strips.

Making this project proved to be quite a learning curve and think I'd tackle the next one I make differently. For this one I used the quilt-as-you-go technique but I think this method did not suit the wadding used. Next time I will sew the strips together first before creating the sandwich of top, wadding and backing, and then do the quilting.

I hope you are all having a great day.

3 comments:

Sandra H said...

Hi Elizabeth .....wow your table running is gorgeous l like all the different materials used .......l have candy on my blog x

Carole Pollard said...

Stunning runner this is a delightful project hope the flooring is lovely Love and hugs Carole x

Barb said...

Evening Elizabeth, well I don't understand all the technical details as I've never done anything like this. All I can say is it looks absolutely beautiful. How nice it will be to have it on your table where you are able to see and enjoy it every day. Barbxx