Tuesday 11 August 2015

Sewing Machine Mat

Morning Everyone

A quick post today because we are off out to the garden centre shortly so I better get a wriggle on.

What I have to share with you this morning is the sewing machine mat I made as a gift for my daughter, Juli.

Juli has plans to create a sewing corner elsewhere in her home but in the meantime she sews on a table in her main living room. Because of this, it occurred to me that anything that helps muffle the sound of the sewing machine would be very welcome. I searched online and found quite a few illustrations of sewing mats and then I adapted the idea to the fabric I had chosen.

Materials used:

  • 1 x patterned fat quarter - If She Knows She Sews - £3.25 from Oh Sew Crafty
  • 1 x plain turquoise fat quarter - bought at the craft show in Glasgow last year
  • Wadding cut to fit the padded bit that the sewing machine sits on
  • Black bias binding - enough to bind the edges of the pocket piece and round the entire mat.
  • Thread, scissors, sewing machine


Now all I need to do is make a mat for my own sewing machine but that could be some time as I have one or two more pressing projects I'm working on at the moment.

Thanks for dropping in. I hope you have a lovely day. I see the sun is breaking through the clouds so it may turn out to be a lovely afternoon.

Take care.

5 comments:

Di said...

What a clever idea Elizabeth! I bet Julie is delighted :) And all those pockets too, really great.

Hugs

Di xx

Twiglet said...

That's really lovely. Just a thought... does it need something non-slip on the base to stop it sliding about or is the weight of the machine enough? x jo

Neesie said...

You are such a clever bunny Elizabeth creating the perfect sewing mat.
I can't even get my machine to sew so it's extremely quiet! ;D
I bet your daughter was thrilled.
Have a great creative week xx

Judys Lace Creations said...

What a thoughtful mum you are.What a great idea, and when Juli has to tidy up, she can put all her accessories in those lovely pockets!
Judy x

Carole Pollard said...

Brilliant what a fantastic idea its gorgeous hugs Carole x