Tuesday 9 September 2014

Priscilla Penguin - Amigurumi Crochet

Hello Everyone

I hope this finds you well.

Thank you to everyone who sent get well wishes ... they clearly worked because I'm back. Still not totally over the lurgy, feeling weak and easily tired, but certainly tons better than I've been over this last week. Thank goodness The Boss was able to take over ... she's very good at snuggling up and offering comfort :)
You may recall seeing a partly completed Amigurumi penguin on my desk a couple of weeks ago - if not, it's in this post here. That was Pablo, my first attempt to crochet a penguin. I did complete him and sent him on his way up north to my lovely ADIL (Almost Daughter-in-Law) but unfortunately I forgot to take photographs. So, there was nothing for it, I just had to make another. Cute, huh?
Amigurumi is the Japanese art of knitting or crocheting small stuffed animals and anthropomorphic creatures. The word is derived from a combination of the Japanese words ami, meaning crocheted or knitted, and nuigurumi, meaning stuffed doll. Priscilla is crocheted in double knitting yarn, size 4 (UK) crochet hook (size 6 USA), only one stitch used, double crochet (single crochet USA), and filled with toy stuffing. She stands 4" high (10.16cm) and has a 9½" (24.13cm) waist measurement.
The pattern I used, free from Lion Brand, suggested attaching toy eyes, but for safety I decided to embroider the black eye centres using a blanket stitch. I've also added a loop to the top of her head, not included in the pattern, so she can be hung up. If you have never tried crocheting but would like to, Amigurumi might be a great place to start - there really is nothing complicated about them and they are so quick to make.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention, all you need are scraps of leftover yarn. The tiniest snippet of yellow makes the penguin's feet and beak which is why I'm submitting her to Pixie's Snippets Playground - #141. It's something a bit different but I hope the snippeteers like it :)

Hopefully, I'll make more of an appearance over the next few days and get back to normal next week.

In the meantime, thanks for looking in.

Happy crafting,

12 comments:

Jean said...

I love your little penguin, she is so cute. I am going to try this soon I have got some patterns.
I'm so glad you are feeling better and hope you are soon fully recovered.
Jean x

Veerle said...

Hi Elizabeth, this is one cute penguin. Very nice and lovely.
Greetings from Veerle.

PS Hope you feel completely recovered soon.

Brenda said...

Oh Golly, this little penguin is just too sweet!! You needlepoint work is just perfect. I learned about Amigurumi which I had never know about before, so cool. Love, love this cute penguin! Hugs, Brenda

Jackie said...

So pleased to hear you are well on the mend...hugs.
What a cute little fellow. I can only crochet in straight lines!!! :o)
Jackie xx

debby4000 said...

Lovely cute penquin. Glad to hear you're on the mend.
luv
Debby

cuilliesocks said...

Such a wonderful little penquin, love him, pleased to hear you are on the mend, Kate x

Di said...

Oh Elizabeth - how totally adorable!! I can see fights in the playground over this little chap :))

Hugs, Di xx

Jenny L said...

Hi Elizabeth,
this is fantastic.
So glad you decided to make another one to show us, otherwise we would have missed seeing this delightful creation.
So glad your feeling better.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Jacee said...

So cute Elizabeth, fab crochet, love it!

Pleased that you are beginning to feel a little better, keep smiling.
Hugs Jacee
Simply Paper Card Design

Sandra H said...

Awww So cute Elizabeth is your creation and so glad to see you popping up in blog land and nice to know your feeling much better.......take care x

Sarn said...

Oh I just LOVE that cute penguin Elizabeth.

So pleased to hear you're feeling better. xxx

Unknown said...

She is too stinkin cute.