Monday 15 September 2014

In a Vase on Monday - Red and Green

Good Afternoon

It is time again to join in with Cathy’s weekly challenge In A Vase On Monday ... the goal of the challenge is to fill a vase using materials gathered from one’s own garden. After missing it last week - too ill to even think about it then - I couldn't wait to participate today.  

In fact, while I was going round the garden with my camera yesterday, I couldn't help but notice my husband's bonnie red roses. The bush has had a few weeks of resting after its early summer flowering and now it has started blooming again, and I'd say it's even better than before. 
Hubby is notorious for losing the labels for his plants so, after some research on-line, my best guess is it is a hybrid tea rose called 'Pride of England'. Whatever its name, the large velvety red blooms are stunning and I just had to claim three for my vase this week!
Something else that caught my eye was the two mature Sorbus (Rowan/Mountain Ash) trees resplendent in their autumn finery, great bunches of bright red berries ... I couldn't resist them so added a couple of stems to the roses.
Close to the sorbus is a Skimmia Japonica, also covered in pretty ripening berries - a perfect addition to the mix. Once I chosen the roses and the berries, I decided to stick with the red and green colour combination - my two favourite colours - and added lots of green foliage ... Euphorbia 'Ascot Rainbow', catmint (Nepeta 'Six Hills Giant') from the long border and dill and salad burnet - which is just coming into flower - from the herb bed.
Just a clear glass vase was used this week but I've filled it with black glass pebbles. Two reasons: I like the contrast of the black with the reds and greens and, still trying to improve my flower plonking skills, the pebbles hold the stems steady making it easier for me to 'arrange' the display :)

Once again, many thanks to Cathy at Rambling In The Garden for hosting this challenge ... it's fun and I'm enjoying the experience.

12 comments:

brenda said...

Stunning roses Elizabeth, some of ours are just coming back into bloom for a second flush.

B x

Jacee said...

What beautiful Roses Elizabeth.
Hugs Jacee
Simply Paper Card Design

LINDA from Each Little World said...

Red and green really make each other pop! I love the addition of the Euphorbia and the berries. If you scroll down on my blog you will find a recent post about painting our house a very dark olive green with a red door. So I consider red and green a perfect pairing.

Kris Peterson said...

The berries and Euphorbia are a perfect accompaniment for the roses!

Sandra H said...

This is so pretty x

Jenny L said...

Hi Elizabeth,
superb and lovely red roses.
Your flower arrangement is fab, and yes you are right about the black pebbles and the contrast.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth,
Those roses are gorgeous! the colour, texture, everything! Your arrangement is so full and so very lovely. I am a little green with envy at how you are able to fill your vase with such lovely greenery, too! What a lovely arrangement! Dana

Donna said...

I really like the mix of foliage, berries and those roses...I am notorious for losing labels too....beautiful vase.

Jean said...

A beautiful vase of flowers and foliage, the red roses are gorgeous and I love that you included some berries.
Jean x

Julia Dunnit said...

How lovely E, really pretty. Am full of admiration for your 'plonking skills', they far exceed mine. The roses are just beautiful, and in tandem with Autumn berries, it's hard to believe the two flower together...summer has been so good...am loving the signs of Autumn but really reluctant to let summer go!

Anonymous said...

This year I have really noticed which roses are best at flowering - but lovely to see them whatever their habits. We have seen some beautiful rowans while we were away - smothered in berries - a great addition for your vase, along with all your other bits and pieces. It really helps when a theme pops into your mind, like the red and green. Thanks for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth, your husband has grown some wonderful Roses and you have arranged them beautifully, some good team work here!