Friday 4 July 2014

Quilted Bed Runner for a One Direction Fan

Afternoon Everyone

Happy 4th July to everyone across the pond. Hope you are enjoying the celebration, including any of you who are in Arizona despite the dreadful dust storm ... film footage on the lunchtime news showed just how bad it is so I'm sending my sympathy to you all out there. Here, after days of wall to wall sunshine the weather has taken a turn for the worse and it's raining. Cats and dogs! Good for the flowers. And the perfect excuse to get some crafting done.

Not that I made this bed runner today. No, I made it a wee while ago for my granddaughter's 11th birthday. Shari-Ann must be One Direction's most ardent fan ... she seems to eat, sleep and breathe them ... so it wasn't difficult to think what would please her for her birthday. What was more difficult was sourcing the fabric ... I was looking for a design that wasn't pink - the little lady has finally outgrown pink :) It seemed to be out of stock wherever I looked. I did finally managed to track down One Direction Rock Out 1D  - with a white background - perfect!
To make, it took only a half a metre x 112cm (20" x 44") of the 1D fabric, plain white cotton for backing and wadding/batting, plus one fat quarter in plain red cotton for the binding. The plan was to quilt every three inches both ways, creating squares of quilting. However, problems with my hands and arms made it a painful process so contented myself with just quilting straight lines, every three inches, across the width. Not what I intended but sometimes you just have to make compromises, and it did look quite nice when finished.
I can report that Shari-Ann described it as 'epic' ... I think that means she likes it :)

I'm off now for a much needed cuppa before starting on my next project.

Thanks for looking.

Happy Crafting,

6 comments:

Annie said...

That looks really gorgeous Elizabeth...or in Shari-Ann's words 'epic' :-)
Hugs,
Annie x

Sandra H said...

Oh wow Elizabeth this is stunning x

scrappymo! said...

It ;looks just fab on her bed. Bet she just loved it!

Carole Pollard said...

Stunning throw so trendy bet she adores it love and Happy Crafting Hugs Carole x

Marie-Louise said...

Fantastic Elizabeth - such a great idea. Isn't it funny how young ones now have a whole language that we do not understand - but then again I simply do not understand "stinkin cute" either.

Jimjams said...

WOW - that is some fabulous quilting - and the fabric brings it right into the 21st century! No wonder she was pleased!