Thursday 30 May 2013

Thanks - William Morris style

Evening Everyone,

I hope you have all had a brilliant day.  It's not been too bad here - my feet/legs are improving with enforced rest but I'm bored to bits. I haven't been able to go into the craft room so my desk looks exactly the same today as it did yesterday and I haven't made a thing. But, in true Blue Peter fashion, here's a card I made earlier.
Years ago, on a visit to Manchester Art Gallery, I bought a pack of postcards featuring old masters, that came wrapped in this packaging decorated with this William Morris design. I've kept it all this time for no better reason than I think it's beautiful - the muted greens, creams and the splash of orange against a black background are just the perfect combination to my mind, and I love the stylised design. If I could, I would have one wall in the lounge papered with it.
The card is made up almost entirely of snippets - the only exception is the ready made card base. Even the ribbons are titchy little lengths leftover from previous projects.

And, of course, the tiniest leftover strip was split in two to decorate the inside and the back.

Materials:

  • square white card base; 
  • black cardstock; the packaging; 
  • 1" wide cream stitched grosgrain ribbon; 
  • narrow green velvet ribbon; gold card for greeting mat; 
  • VersaMark and gold heat-It-Up embossing powder; 
  • greeting stamp; 
  • gold Liquid Pearls

All those snippets make it a certainty that I'm heading over to Di's playground - Pixies Crafty Snippets Playground - Week  74.

That done, I'd better adopt the prone position again (sigh). I do have the biography of Edith Holden, author of a Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady, to read - that should keep me amused for a while.

Take care everyone,

Happy crafting,

10 comments:

Marie-Louise said...

Beautiful Elizabeth - very classy card.

My name is Cindy said...

That really is lovely!! No wonder you kept the packaging and you've put it to good use. Hope you don't get too bored, Hugs Cindy

Alison Scott said...

Love William Morris designs. Flowery, but not too floral, if you see what I mean.
Hope the legs/feet are improving each day.

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Rest up there dear friend and wow! love the card, and William Morris - have a William Morris patterned bag I bought from V&A collection but actually bought it in Conwy.... and love it.. fab idea to use a post card! take care, praying for you, Shaz in oz.x

Jackie said...

What a stunning card, I love it. I am so pleased to hear that your legs are improving :o)
Jackie xx

Sandra H said...

Elizabeth this is truly lovely and glad to know your legs are getting better rest seens to be the best treatment but as you say can be boring so bear with it take care x

MagsB said...

Oh My Word, this is beautiful! I love William Morris - and what a wonderful way to upcycle the packaging! Lovely!

love Mags B x

coops said...

so stunning Elizabeth.i love your stylish design and fabulous colours :D

xx coops xx

scrappymo! said...

Fabulous card...so rich and classical in feeling!

Craftychris said...

Really striking! The colours are fabulous xx