Thursday 24 January 2013

Spring Kitty Card

Hi Everyone,

I hope you are all well.

It's been a tad warmer and drier here in Ayr today - there was even a glimpse of sunshine for a short period. However, the temperature has plummeted once more and my fingers are frozen again!

A number of you have been a bit surprised to learn that we have no snow in these here parts. And I suppose, given that we are in Scotland, it is easy to believe that when it is snowing in the rest of the UK it would be snowing here too. However, the snow seems to be coming in from the east and we are in the west ... we are, therefore, on the very edge of any snowdrifts coming this way. Couple that with the fact that we are fairly close to the sea - the one that has the north Atlantic drift flowing through it - so it has to be a very heavy and persistent snowfall for it to lie for long. These two factors do not stop it from being distinctly chilly though :(

With all this horrible weather, it will come as no surprise to you to learn that I've been yearning for spring ... and that I've been making cards that reflect the wish for sunnier times and cheer me up.


And just the name of the ink pad used here, Sunshine Yellow, cheers me up.

I've inked a white embossed card base, added a scalloped edged belly band ... there's that term again, Di :) ... made with a scrap of deep yellow cardstock, trimmed with some striped ribbon that's been in the stash for at least a couple of years.


The topper has been made with yet another image from that Mothering card insert - this time I've fussy-cut the little kitty out and adhered it to a scrap of card that has a yellow and white stripe pattern ... it, too, came from a card sent to me at Easter several years ago :))


There was just enough of that yellow card to decorate the front and back.


I recycle simply because I can't bear to throw away anything that I think is too nice to toss, but an added bonus is that this card has to have cost pennies to make.

Materials:
a square embossed card from Docrafts
Adirondack Brights Sunshine Yellow ink pad
scraps of yellow cardstock
recycled kitty image
a scrap of yellow/white card recycled
yellow/white stripe ribbon 
card candi from the Oranges and Lemons selection
tools - X-cut scalloped border punch

With all those scraps used in the making, it can only mean one thing ... yes, I'm, popping over Pixie's Crafty Workshop and submitting it for Pixie's Crafty Snippets Week 56

Oh dear, I'm late for Silent Witness - another must see for me.

Edited note: it has been pointed out to me that what I thought was a kitty could well be a mouse! Apologies to all meeces - I just saw whiskers and a cute little face and thought kitty :)

Take care everyone, keep warm if you are suffering the snow, and happy crafting,

8 comments:

MagsB said...

So pretty and springlike! It's lovely to see such a cheerful card on a bitter day! Brrrr!

Also - hooray for snippets! Economical and ecological at the same time!

Stay cosy and warm!

love Mags B x

Sandy said...

Lovely card, fab colours, cute but definitely looks like a mouse to me!!! LOL.
Hugs,
Sandy

Marie-Louise said...

What a marvellous cheerful card Elizabeth. Thank goodness we have not had any snow here either.

scrappymo! said...

This card is so adorable! I love the fact that you recycled and it cost pennies to make...make it even levlier! teehee

You did a great job on the fussy cutting...mouse or kitty...it looks good either way.

Jackie said...

What a gorgeous card, so cute and full of the promise of Spring :o)
Jackie xx

Di said...

Mouse or kitty - who cares - it's brilliant Elizabeth! Lovely Spring colours and your fussy cutting of the image is so carefully done, great result! Right down to the 'belly band':)

Hugs, Di xx

Sandra H said...

Hi Elizabeth, Image is lovely what ever!! beautiful card with lovely cheerful colours used and embellis cold here as its snowing not had a lot of it but it was forecasted for today hopefully it won't be too much have a lovely weekend xx

Irene said...

A beautiful and Spring like card with a gorgeous kitty.
luv
irene
xxxx