Tuesday 16 October 2012

Tuscany Hills ... two cards from one sheet of toppers

Morning All

I trust you are all well and that yesterday turned out to be a good Monday for you.

The cards I'm sharing with you this morning were made some time ago now and they have been lying in the basket forgotten till today. Both cards, a note card and a birthday card, feature toppers from the same Italian themed  Kanban sheet  - Casa Colonica.


For the note card I used an off-cut of Kraft cardstock trimmed, scored and folded to make a card base measuring 4" x 5¾" covered in paper from Prima's 6x6 Botanical collection. For the layering I used papers from Docraft's Papermania 6x6 Birdsong collection topped off with a strip of the Prima paper - bakers twine has been wound round and tied with a bow topped with a button before attaching the topper which was matted on to a piece of the Birdsong paper. Butterflies punched from the leftover edges of the topper sheet;  and decorated with pearls embellish the front. Off-cuts of the Prima paper decorate the inside.


This card was made for my elderly uncle's birthday. As he is well-travelled and loves Italy, I thought this would please him and maybe even give him the desire to visit Tuscany again.

The base is a square white deckle-edged card covered in Basic Grey's Origins 6x6 paper pad matted on to some textured gold paper, I've forgotten the source but I think it was from the fab box of goodies Jo of Jozart sent me some time ago.


This topper is built up in several layers - I hope you can see this in the photo - and matted on to more of the gold textured paper. All papers are edged with a Tim Holtz Brushed Corduroy ink pad. Caramel/white baker's twine was wrapped around one of the layers several times and just knotted. The inside is decorated with strips of leftover paper. 

When it comes to making quick cards - especially if, as in this case, I've nearly forgotten the birthday so rushing at the last minute -  I've found Kanban's sheets of toppers really handy and I like the quality of the card too. My favourite craft centre carries a great stock of them too and that means I can cherry pick for ones that I really like and I don't have to buy an entire collection.

Time for bed for me now - yes, it's the early hours again. We are visiting Arihanna later today so I need to be as fresh as a daisy for the trip.

Thanks for looking and take care everyone.

Happy crafting,


9 comments:

scrappymo! said...

ohhhhh, Elizabeth...2 wonderful cards!
This Kaban sheet had gorgeous images. They sue do capture the feel of Italy.
Now onto the details...that gold textured sort of paper behind the payers looks great. I never know what to do with that type of paper. I have a bit of it and it can over powers a card...I can see layering it is the answer.
The use of twine on each card is perfect...keeps it to the masculine feel you have going here.
Love the Patterned paper choices...again very manly...all in all 2 wonderful cards!

Enjoy your visit with your Grandaughter.

Marie-Louise said...

Two beautiful cards Elizabeth. Love the papers you have used on the first one.

Jackie said...

Good morning Elizabeth, although looking out of the window I am not so sure about it being good!
Both cards are wonderful, with fantastic views :o)
Jackie xx

Julia S-W said...

Gorgeous card Elizabeth. I've always wanted to visit that part of Italy but haven't made it yet! Love the inky edges and the layers make it very special.
Juliaxx

lisa said...

These are gorgeous, Elizabeth. I love the twine you've used. Kanban are great for quick cards aren't they. I use them a lot, the card quality is superb. Their factory is just down the road from us so the outlet shop is very tempting, always a bargain to be had!!
Thank you so much for your lovely comments. I can't wait to see your inky project.
Hugs Lisax

Teresa Kline said...

wow, this is a beautiful card!

enjoy *~*

Sandra H said...

Hi Elizabeth, Both of your cards are stunning and l do like the bakers twine its so effective! great layout and vintage look on the edges so beautiful they really are! xx

505whimsygirl said...

Hi Elizabeth,

I LOVE both of these cards! You are so talented.

Hugs,
Kay

Craftychris said...

Both of these cards are fabulous! You have showcased the toppers wonderfully. xx