Friday 20 April 2012

Red Lily Card - Inspired by Jackie

Hello Everyone,

I'm working with the sun blazing through the window, there's a blue, blue sky and all-in-all it's a lovely day here even though there is still a wee nip in the air ... in fact, it's a great day for crafting :)

Anyone who has been following me for some time will know that I like taking photographs, particularly of flowers, as I've posted more than a few over the last year or so. Occasionally I've made a scrapbook layout with a few of them but otherwise, in the main, they are just stored on computer ... not forgotten, just neglected.

So time to right the wrong:


I've long been inspired by Jackie over on Craft Designs who, not only takes the most stunning photographs, but also goes on to make quite the most beautiful cards with them. In particular, click here to see her clever use of the same photograph to make six different cards.


I've not tackled anything quite so ambitious as Jackie has but, finally, I have used one of my favourite pics of our red lilies taken last summer to make a topper for a tent shaped notecard. Using Craft Artist Professional I've tinkered with the photo to give the illusion that it has been printed on canvas before printing it out. It was then matted on to scraps of gold mirri card and a dark red card to form the card topper. Gorgeous patterned paper, a fabulous sentiment (stamped straight on to the base paper), paper strips edged with an MS punch and a green velvet ribbon complete the card.


The pattern paper has been folded over on to the back and trimmed with one of the gold edge peel-offs bought ages ago which hasn't been given away to my granddaughter :)

I've deliberately not put any particular greeting on the card ... I'm trying to build up a wee store of the non-specific but really useful cards I seem to use up very quickly.

Materials and tools used:

  • Serif Craft Artist Professional and Artistic Edges, Vol 3
  • Tesco 6"x4" photo paper
  • 5.25" square white card base
  • Simple Stories, Generations 6"x6" paper pad
  • Martha Stewart edge punch - sorry, name long forgotten
  • Snippets gold mirri card, dark red card
  • Hero Arts Flowers are Poetry sentiment stamp
  • Memento Tuxedo Black ink pad
  • Anna Griffin green velvet ribbon

All the materials are from my not inconsiderable mountain of stash so, although I have slipped off the wagon recently, I'm back on track and sticking to the Use-It-Up pledge again.


The use of scraps and leftovers also qualifies it for Di's Crafty Snippet Challenge, so I'll be skipping along to add it to her linky list :)

That's my share for today. I'm off to watch what's left of Pointless with the EM.

I hope you are all well and enjoying some crafting time.

Happy Crafting,


14 comments:

Jo said...

Gorgeous card, love the colours and layout and the photo looks fab!
Hugs Jo x

Julia Dunnit said...

Tinkered? I don't think that's the right word, it looks marvellous, what a fab photo..and card, of course!i you must be really pleased with the result.

Di said...

Fantastic Elizabeth - love the way you worked from that gorgeous photo of yours to make a stunning card. And the inside decorated too!

Some time I'll relate the tale about Len being Eddie the Eagle for you :) All my fault again needless to say.

Pleased you made it to the playground, and with such a fabulous card too!

Di
xx

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...oh Elizabeth how beautiful is this...loVe the way you've put this card together & a super photo, such richness in colour...loVely work...Mel :)

Karen said...

WOW Elizabeth that flower photo is stunning and a really gorgeous card, I love the colour combination :)

Have a great weekend, Luv Karen xx

coops said...

so beautiful elizabeth.stunning flower and i love your design ;D

xx coops xx

Jackie said...

What a beautiful card Elizabeth, and a beautiful photograph. As you know, I adore combining photography and cardmaking. It is so satisfying. Thank you so much for your lovely comment about my photograph cards and for linking backt to my blog. What a lovely surprise that was :o)
Jackie xx

Sarn said...

BRILLIANT card. Love it xxx

Mrs A. said...

Wow, what a stunning card. you have done yourself proud. Love all the elements you have put togther on it. Hugs Mrs A.

Bernie said...

OH Elizabeth this is simply gorgeous! I don't know why I never punch patterned paper it looks so lovely, must remedy that.
Hugs

baileyrosy said...

Dear Elizabeth it has been an age since I passed by hope you are well. I had terrible trouble with blogger and am now on WP. This is such a beauty love the use of the pretty photo and how you have enhanced it super work. As always a fabulous creation both inside and out.

Marie

akilli melek said...

lovely card. I have just got the serif package so might try tinkering with it to see if i can come up with something as pretty as this!
just got back onto my blog. Read your comment about your great niece. Hope everything went well for her.
caroline

Angie said...

Gorgeous... as usual
I am so out of the loop having to borrow daughters lap top due to sick/dead computer.I have just had a catch up ...great squares ....wish i could crochet ...but I am getting back into knitting. I am on my 3rd 'Jo Scarf' and I've finished my jumper....must get back into paper crafting.Take Care. xx

Jules said...

Hi Elizabeth

This is gorgeous!!!

Love the papers and colours very much.

Love Jules xx